Appam is wonderful dish from the state Kerala. It is not only popular in Kerala, but also in Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka. This is one type pancake, which is generally served in breakfast and sometimes in dinner too. Appam goes very well with sweetened coconut milk, and even with coconut chutney.
Preparing appam is a long process. More time is required for preparing batter. It is best to start the process today afternoon around 3PM, if you want to eat it tomorrow. It is long process, but worth waiting for such long time. Here is the method for cooking Appam recipe at home.
Ingredients Required for Preparing Appam:
- Brown Rice – 1 Cup
- Boiled Rice – 1 Cup
- Black Gram (Urad Dal) – 3 TBSP
- Fenugreek (Methi) – 1/4 TSP
- Sugar – 1/ TBSP
- Coconut Milk – 1 Cup
- Coconut Water – 1 TSP
- Baking Soda – 1/4 TSP
- Salt – Little As Per Your Taste
Required Steps for Appam:
- Take a bowl and add brown rice, urad dal, and methi. Now add sufficient water.
- Take another bowl and add boiled rice to it. Add sufficient water to it.
- Cover the bowls and keep them aside for about 6 hours.
- After 6 hours drain the extra water in both the bowls.
- Now add soaked brown rice plus methi, coconut milk, coconut water, and soaked boiled rice to grinder jar.
- Grind the mixture until it becomes soft batter.
- Now take this grinded batter into separate bowl and add sugar, and salt to it. Mix the batter well.
- Now cover the bowl and keep it aside for soaking whole night.
- In the morning, check the batter. It should be somewhat thick (should be slightly thicker than dosa batter.
- If the batter is too thick, then add little coconut water or drinking water and mix well.
- Now add baking soda to it, mix well and leave it aside for about 20 minutes.
- Now take a pan and warm it on simmer flame now couple of seconds. Now add ghee to it and spread it across the pan.
- Now with help of a round spoon take some batter and spread it on the pan. (Just like dosa.)
- Pour some ghee on it and cover it with a lid.
- Once it is baked properly remove the lid and take appam into a plate.
- Prepare more appams with the remaining batter.
- Your appam is ready to eat. Serve it hot with sweetened coconut milk or coconut chutney.